Seared Diver Scallop with Chanterelles, Potato Gaufrettes and Blood Orange Cream
Author: Chef Peter
- Hawaiian Basic Waffle Recipe
- 1 russet potato
- 5 blood oranges
- 2 fluid ounces heavy cream
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- granulated sugar (as needed)
- 4 diver scallops, U-8
- canola oil (as needed)
- 1 pint fresh chanterelle mushrooms (trimmed)
- olive oil (as needed)
- Peel the potato and trim into a cylinder shape. Using a mandoline and the ridged cutting blade, cut thin slices of potato, turning the potato 60 to 90 degrees between each slice and adjusting the thickness of the slices until a waffle pattern (gaufrette) is produced. Using the swimming method, deep-fry the potato slices at 325°F (163°C) until crisp and lightly browned. Drain on a paper towel.
- Juice the blood oranges. Strain the juice. Place the juice in a small saucepot and reduce by two thirds. Add the heavy cream and reduce this mixture by one-third. Reduce the heat and slowly whisk in the butter to form a sauce. Season with salt and pepper. If the sauce is too tart, adjust the flavor with a small amount of sugar. Hold the sauce in a warm place.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper. In a medium sauté pan over high heat, sear the scallops in a little canola oil until browned on one side. Turn the scallops and place the pan in a 400°F (200°C) oven until cooked to the desired doneness, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sauté the chanterelles in a small amount of olive oil until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a portion of the blood orange sauce in the bottom of each of four small soup plates. Place a waffle wedged addb the cnter and place a portion of the chanterelles in the middle of each waffle on top of the sauce. Place a seared scallop on top of the chanterelles and garnish each plate with two or three gaufrette potatoes.
Calories: 571 Fat: 40g Carbohydrates: 33g Sodium: 152mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 9g Cholesterol: 215mg